West Palm Beach Gun Possession Attorney
Dedicated to Defending Your Rights When You are Facing Concealed Weapon Charges
If you or a loved one has been charged with possession of an illegal firearm in West Palm Beach, you need the help of a competent and aggressive lawyer as soon as possible to mitigate any related charges and their consequences.
As a state that often gets national attention for its gun laws and shootings, crimes involving firearms can be taken very seriously in Florida. Stand Your Ground laws, the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Public Safety Act (named after the tragic Parkland school shooting of 2017), and other legislation can make gun charges even more complicated.
At The Pakett Law Group, PA, you can rely on experienced and aggressive legal assistance from Attorney Brian Pakett and his team. Our West Palm Beach gun possession lawyer has a strong reputation for providing personalized representation and tenacious advocacy. We will do what we can to get your charges reduced as much as possible, if not dropped.
Facing gun possession charges? Contact our firm online or at (561) 286-8411 to request your free case evaluation. Our West Palm Beach gun possession lawyer serves clients in West Palm Beach, Rivera Beach, Boyton Beach, and Lake Worth.
What are the Gun Possession Charges in Florida?
Florida gun laws regulate firearms actions, such as:
Under Florida law, “a person who is not licensed…and who carries a concealed weapon or electric weapon or device on or about his or her person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree” which is punishable by heavy fines, long stints in jail, and other penalties.
One’s sentence is often determined by factors unique to each case such as what kind of weapon was involved, how much harm was caused, whether the offender had prior offenses, and more.
Typical gun charges in Florida include:
- Assault with a deadly weapon
- Carrying an unlicensed gun
- Criminal possession of a firearm
- Criminal sale of a firearm
- Criminal use of a firearm
FL Gun Purchasing Process
- Florida has a mandatory three-day waiting period (not including holidays and weekends) between the purchase and delivery of a firearm.
- The period will extend past 3 days if a background check is not completed.
- However, the waiting period does not apply when a concealed weapons permit holder purchases a firearm.
Who Can Legally Own & Carry a Gun in Florida?
Openly carrying a firearm is illegal in Florida. Concealed carry is legal, but a special license is required to adhere to state law.
To obtain a concealed weapons permit in the state of Florida, you must meet certain requirements such as:
- Be a resident/citizen or a permanent resident of the United States
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Complete a gun safety course
- Have a reason for wanting to carry a firearm for lawful self-defense
- Not be a felon or have any recent criminal convictions
- Not chronically and habitually drink alcohol
- Not have been committed to a mental institution
- Not have been found guilty of a drug crime or committed for abuse of a controlled substance
- Not have been issued an injunction that is currently in force and effect and that restrains the applicant from committing acts of domestic violence or acts of repeat violence
- Not suffer from a disability that prevents the safe handling of a firearm
The Pakett Law Group, PA is Ready to Defend You
If you or a loved one is facing charges of illegal gun possession in Florida, you are likely under a significant amount of stress. A conviction can not only lead to minor to severe criminal penalties but may also leave you with a permanent criminal record that can negatively affect your future prospects related to jobs, housing, and more.
No matter what type of gun or weapon charge you have been accused of Attorney Brian Pakett is prepared to develop a defense strategy designed to secure the most favorable outcome.
Contact Attorney Pakett online or at (561) 286-8411 for your free consultation about your gun charges.
If you want a lawyer that will do everything to help you, Brian Pakett is the lawyer for you.
- Not Afraid to Fight For You in Court
- Quick Response Time for All Clients
- Easily Available in Your Time of Need